Saturday, April 4, 2009

Our small home in Japan

My family and I live in a small flat here in Japan. Tatami mat floors, futons and sliding doors. Very traditional. I'd like a bigger place with den and backyard. Everybody does. But I've learned something in Japan. The physical home you live in has a real influence on the family.

I can't hide in the den. I work on the kitchen table. We need to make dinner and clean up together in order to play games later. When our child goes to bed, we go to bed.

I don't party as much, as I can't hide in my room and nurse my hangover in the morning. We don't have a yard, so my son and I go to the park almost every day.

I know we will need a bigger place but when I read my son, his night time book "Small House" (ちさいおうち)I think about the monster houses in suburbia, found in the west - I want a bigger place but not much bigger.