Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I went to pick my son up at the daycare today. A few curious boys approached and asked "nani jin deska" (please tell me your nationality). They were young boys and it was a fair question. They could have just as easily shouted "look gaijin". Or make the mistake their parents usually make - assume I am American. I told the boys and that was the end of it.

When I left I heard the teacher scolding the boys. It made me angry. I didn't say anything as it was not my place and my Japanese is too poor to correctly express my feelings. I told my wife about this and she heard there was a western gaijin father the year before that had made a lot of complaints. I am not sure what he could have complained about. I have no complaints. I suspect it is another super sensitive gaijin blowing everything out of proportion.